Beyond Financial

Visit our social pages


Trucking License Plates

Trucking License Plates

License plates are evidence that registration fees have been paid and are a means of readily identifying a vehicle and tracing ownership. Plate types issued for use on “heavy” vehicles include TK (Truck),TOR (truck-tractors), FRM (farm trucks), SEMI (semi- trailers), BUS (not including school buses), etc. Vehicles registered under the International Registration Plan (IRP) are issued apportioned plates. Motor carriers applying for IRP must register their vehicles in their home or “base” jurisdiction as part of a fleet. A fleet, for IRP purposes, is comprised of one or more vehicles that pay registration fees in multiple states. The base jurisdiction collects the appropriate registration fees and distributes them to the other jurisdictions in which the carrier has requested IRP registration. IRP registration fees are determined by the type of operation re quested (private, for-hire, or rental) and by the:

⦁ Percentage of miles traveled in each member jurisdiction
⦁ Registered gross weight of each vehicle
⦁ Number of vehicles in the carrier’s fleet Credentials

Carriers are issued one registration cab card and one license plate for each vehicle in their fleet. Vehicles registered under IRP are considered registered for vehicle registration purposes only – IRP registration does not exempt carriers from any jurisdictions other requirements including:

⦁ Operating authority
⦁ Vehicle size and weight
⦁ Motor fuel or road tax licensing and reporting
⦁ Insurance filing

Our experienced team will cut through the red tape to decrease your administrative time and paperwork and can issue same-day IRP License Plates from our offices in California & Wisconsin.
Commercial trucks traveling in two or more states (except Alaska and Hawaii) and the Canadian provinces are required to be IRP licensed.

Scroll to Top